Hundreds of police officers raided the Occupy Oakland tent city at about 5 a.m. Monday.

There were no reports of injuries or skirmishes and 32 were arrested for failing to disperse. Some campers started taking down their tents early. Officials are inventorying the camp so belongings can be returned.

10:15 a.m. Police union thanks protesters, chief — everyone but the mayor

The Oakland Police Officers Association released a statement today thanking the protesters for peacefully leaving the tent city. The statement also praises Interim Chief Howard Jordan and City Administrator Deanna Santana for their leadership during the raid. But there’s no mention of Mayor Jean Quan. The union has criticized her in recent days for her changing position on the Occupy Oakland camp.

The statement reads “On behalf of the 645 Oakland police officers we represent, Oakland Police Officers’ Association would like to thank our Police Chief Howard Jordan and City Administrator Deanna Santana for their leadership in the peaceful removal of the occupier encampment. We are also appreciative of the mutual aid provided by law enforcement agencies from throughout the Bay Area.”

To the protesters, the statement adds:

to abide by the law.”

"Thank you for your peaceful exit from Frank Ogawa Plaza — it was greatly appreciated by all," said Sgt. Dom Arotzarena. "We respect your right to peaceful protest, and urge your continued willingness 

9 a.m. Mutual aid from police cost $300,000 to $500,000

Mutual aid from departments around the area today cost the city $300,000 to $500,000, Interim Chief Howard Jordan said.

Departments that sent officers include the San Francisco Police Department, BART, Alameda County Sheriff’s Department, Hayward, Fremont, Richmond, San Leandro and San Mateo. Jordan did not say how many officers were involved in the raid.

6:50 a.m. Police declare ‘crime scene,’ move out media

The plaza has been cleared of media by police. A small group of protesters has taken up residence in a tree house in a sycamore along 14th Street.

A van carrying Mayor Jean Quan, City Administrator Deanna Santana, Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan and a few other officials just left to tour the plaza.

The crowd in the intersection of 14th and Broadway has thinned to about 100 protesters, facing down police on the west side of Broadway.

6:30 a.m. About 20 arrested so far

Police have arrested about 20 protesters so far and have begun dismantling the camp. Hundreds of protesters remain on Broadway and 14th. While they can’t return to the camp, police are not ordering them to leave.

In the camp, police are taking down tents and making arrests. Everything remains peaceful.

Police arrested 14 protesters who had been praying all night in the interfaith tent all night amid by candles.

The protesters, who had planned to peacefully resist the raid, sang “We Shall Overcome” as the police arrested them.

Rev. Kurt Kuhwald had told reporters, “Our plan is to remain here.”

Several individual protesters also chose to get arrested.

Brandon Walsh, an Oakland bike mechanic, said that he was “passively occupying” despite police orders to leave the camp.

"I have the privilege of having a voice and the luxury to do something with it," he said.

Protesters continue to affirm that the raid will not hinder the movement.

"The campers are going to be back in a day or two," said engineering student Mark L., who identifies as a Republican.

"Police brutality has galvanized the X-Box generation. If they’d just ignored it in Oakland or Zuccotti Park, it would have gone away."

taking down tents

6 a.m. Police start making arrests

Police are starting to make arrests, of a group of interfaith protesters gathered in a circle near the plaza. The tent city has yet to be dismantled.

On the other side of the plaza, in the amphitheater, Paul Bloom, of San Francisco is waiting to be arrested.

He had been at the Wall Street Occupy Camp, but returned after the first Oakland raid. He has been camping for the last 10 days.

"I want to get arrested," he said, sitting near three others who were meditating.

"I feel sad that we haven’t communicated what we wanted to communicate. "This is a movement for future generations"

5:25 a.m. Camp deserted as police walk through

The Occupy Oakland camp is looking desolate, abandoned. A police helicopter is hovering overhead, shining a light and announcing over a speaker that anyone there must leave now. But there’s no one in the tents, it seems empty. There are some people nearby, lingering near the police line on the plaza.

It seems about 30-40 tents were taken down in anticipation of the raid. Police have surrounded plaza at this point. There have been no reports of violence or police skirmishes with protesters.

5:15 a.m. Police surround camp, start to walk through

Police have peacefully surrounded both the camp and the plaza.

A line of police officers have encircled the plaza, and some are walking through the camp. They’ve also surrounded the more than 500 protesters in the intersection.

They have not made any arrests, or clashed with protesters. They are letting people out but not letting anyone in

5:05 a.m. Police march on camp

A couple hundred police in riot gear are trying to surround the camp. They are forming a line at least three officers deep at Broadway, across 14th Street. They have sealed off the crowd from the camp. Police haven’t entered the camp yet.

4:45 a.m. Police closing in

Police in riot gear are very close to the encampment, next to the Rotunda building. The line of police are about 50 feet from the camp.

Most of the occupiers have left the encampment and moved to 14th street and Broadway.

There are about 50 or 75 people still in camp, but the majority are now waiting in the intersection.

The 12th Street BART station is closed, according to a BART advisory.

4:30 a.m. Police assembling downtown

There’s a large contingent of Fremont police officers at 14th and Franklin streets. Broadway is being blocked off in both directions, keeping traffic away. Several Fremont police officers in riot gear are standing next to a Fremont PD SUV, and Hayward police also have a van here.

Protesters have announced several times through mic checks that these forces are moving on the camp, only to correct themselves a few moments later.

4:20 a.m. Many campers packing up

Although many tents are still standing, the camp has become a patchwork as protesters starting packing up.

At least 20 tents are coming down. One man who wouldn’t give his name looked regretful as he packed up his things. “We are going to lose a lot of resources out here.”

Lara Bitar, 28, was helping collapse three of the camp’s four “intifada tents.”

"It feels pretty sad because we built a community here, and now they can just come and destroy it," she said. "At the same time, this movement is about more than just the space here."

Bitar said the group, which is affiliated with the Palestinian Youth Movement and the Anti-Zionist Network, was putting the tents in storage to protect their belongings.

"We left one just as a statement," she said.

Other occupiers are moving their tents to a smaller camp at Snow Park, at 19th and Harrison streets.

Bitar, who works as a children’s television producer, said that the raid and any police brutality would only encourage the protesters.

Many protesters have masks or have covered their faces covered in rags. The song being chanted by protesters in the street is: “We are Occupy;

We are never going to die; Every time you kick us out; We are going to multiply.”

Meanwhile, DeLauer’s Super Newsstand is open and doing brisk business selling water, coffee and snacks to the protesters. At about 4 a.m., the first helicopter of the night flew over the camp.

3:45 a.m. Police assembling at Coliseum

Public safety officers are setting up a command post and are assembling at the Coliseum, KCBS is reporting.

Meanwhile, at the intersection of 14th and Broadway, Occupy Oakland camper Randy Peppers of Pt Richmond decided to be pragmatic and pull up stakes early. He was pushing a cart with his camping gear. His rationale is that he can’t be arrested if he’s mobile.

Peppers had been staying at the camp since it was reoccupied after the Oct. 25 raid.

"I can’t reoccupy if they take my tent away."

  1. paradise-for-dorothy reblogged this from kammstheace
  2. kammstheace reblogged this from fcg and added:
  3. fcg reblogged this from occupyonline
  4. occupyonline posted this